Thursday, October 2, 2008

Red Sox, Bill Simmons, Manny Ramirez and the first game of the playoffs

In early August, I wrote a rambling piece about the Manny Ramirez trade. It clocked in at about 1700 words and I think did a pretty good job of expressing my feelings on the whole thing. Now ESPN Sports Guy Bill Simmons, formerly known as the Boston Sports Guy, has outdone me 5 to 1. While half of this city ate the bull they were fed and said good riddance to Manny, there’s still a good portion of people – Simmons and my brother included – who aren’t exactly pleased with the trade. One game into the 2008 playoffs, I can’t say I blame them.

Simmons hits it on the head in a few different places – that Scott Boras is quite possibly the real villain in all of this is probably the most impossible to prove and still the most likely. Like he said, the man wasn’t getting paid unless Manny signed a new contract somewhere, and Scott Boras always gets paid. That despite all the crap that was piled on top of Manny in his last few months, I still can’t root against him or wish that the guy does poorly. But most importantly, Simmons is right that Manny’s good moments over seven-plus seasons greatly outweigh the bad, and no one is taking that away from us.

Going into the Red Sox division series with the Angels, who were by far the best team in baseball (to be fair, their division sucked, ours did not), it’s difficult not to wish for the comfort of Manny hitting behind David Ortiz. Instead, we get Manny’s replacement Jason Bay hitting behind a barely-recovered J.D. Drew… hitting behind Kevin Youkilis… hitting behind Big Papi. It just doesn’t have the one-two punch we’ve enjoyed for the last couple years, nor does it instill the same sort of fear in opposing pitchers that the Dynamic Dominican Duo were so good at exploiting. To be fair to the rest of the team, the Sox have had a different feel to them all season – Ortiz wasn’t the monster he’d been in previous seasons (Manny’s absence behind him during the last few months probably impacted this a bit, but not enough to make up the difference); Drew, after erasing any doubts about him in the last year and a half, went down for the stretch and I’m sure caused some grumbles last night; Mike Lowell’s similar absence in September was definitely felt, and the Coco Crisp/Jacoby Ellsbury lampoon in center field was not nearly as effective as many would have hoped. On the bright side, Kevin Youkilis and Dustin Pedroia are fighting each other for MVP candidacy, and I don’t think anyone in April would have guessed that Jon Lester would start Game 1 of the playoffs and kind of beat up on the best team in the league like he did last night. It’s a different team than it has been in the last couple or four years, and to Boston fans, that’s scary. Because the last four years (re: 2004 & 2007) were the best years EVER.

I think it’s still going to take some getting used to. This series with the Angels will be the first real test. I doubt we’re going to see seven innings from Dice-K tomorrow, and with Josh Beckett’s oblique still a question mark for Sunday, these coming games have the potential to expose the soft underbelly that is the Red Sox middle relief. We’ve still got to get comfortable with the “get on base by any means necessary” strategy from Youkilis and Pedroia – even though they’ve been doing it for a few years now – because it’s not the baseball-destroying postseason fireworks we’ve come to expect. We’ve gotta trust the young guys. Papelbon, Pedroia and Lowrie help – Buccholz, Hansen, Delcarmen (and ultimately Ellsbury, I think… at least for this season) don’t. The team is still gluing together the consistency they’re going to need if they’re going to go back-to-back.

I’m still not sure on the Sox chances in this series. I'll admit, I like them more now than I did 24 hours ago, but again, the Angels are the best team in the MLB this season. One interesting point – the Angels won the season series against the Sox 8-1. The last time the two teams played was July 30th. Manny Ramirez was traded to the Dodgers on July 31st. Will this matter? I don’t know. You can be sure that if the Sox win the series, someone will claim that it does. I’d rather be able to chalk it up to a team that finally meshed, finally hit their stride together and finally got all of the vital components healthy and focused. But I don’t think we’d ever really know.

The one thing I do know? If the Red Sox make it to the World Series, I want to play the Cubs. If the Red Sox DON’T make it to the World Series, I want the Dodgers to. I still like Manny, and have no ill will toward the guy. But I don’t want to play him. Say what you will about Manny’s somewhat-suspicious resurgence after the trade. I’m willing to believe that he was just in a better mood and more focused because of it, not that he was actively holding anything back. But I don’t want to play a streaking Manny Ramirez (which he will most certainly be, if the Dodgers make it that far. No one else is going to carry that team through the playoffs like that), and I don’t want to find out if Manny can be vindictive.

On a related note, the final thing that Simmons nailed in his piece: for the love of Ted Williams, let the Dodgers step up and re-sign Manny. Because if they don’t, the Yankees will. Hank is just crazy enough to push for it. And psychological damage of seeing Manny in pinstripes aside, I don’t want to play in Manny’s division. The emergent Rays are bad enough. Them plus a resurgent Yankees thanks to Manny’s power? I’m just not ready for that.

No comments: